First Semester of Junior Year Graphic Design Reflection



First Semester of Junior Year Graphic Design Reflection

Throughout my first semester in graphic design, I've gotten the opportunity to go more in depth with design processes like patterning, illustration, and branding. From each of these projects, I have taken away at least one of the five guarantees of eComm. The most relevant of them being technology, as we spend most of our days designing on the computers. I've learned a lot of new features in our software this semester, especially the type that relates to patterning. I first used it with our patterns for the subscription box project, turning my designs into swatches and replicating them for the dielines. I'll definitely be able to use this with future projects and endorsement opportunities. The next most effective guarantee for me was communication. I relied a lot on the feedback and constructive criticism from my peers to critique my work. I took their thoughts and combined them with my own self-thought critiques to improve the quality of my work. That said, personally, I think that communication and collaboration worked well together for me this semester. I returned the feedback for my classmates to help them perfect their own projects.
  I think my strengths so far this semester have been in branding. A lot of our other work, like illustration and patterning was definitely a challenge for me. I found that I would get really distracted while working on these assignments, as I'm not very good at either of them. Although we've done little work with branding, I hope to do more with it in the future because I feel like it's my strong suit. Therefore, next semester I need to try and focus on being more attentive when it comes to my work, even if it doesn't pique my interest as much as branding or advertising.
I'll definitely be using patterning more in my work, as I now know how to transfer illustrations and patterns from pencil to the computer. I can see myself working with these processes with clients.
As for things I would change, I wish I could go back and get more into designing my patterns earlier so I can get more feedback. Due to getting off topic easily, I sometimes fell behind when I could certainly be ahead. My hope for next semester is to kind of "get it together", you could say, to get back into designing. Overall, I've had a great semester in graphic design, and I can see myself using a lot of the methods I've learned so far in my future work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logo Color Schemes

Second Semester In Graphic Design Reflection

Sidewalk Chalk Activity